* ROADMAP: New file.
* Makefile.am (EXTRA_DIST): Add it.
@ -164,6 +164,7 @@ AM_SH_LOG_FLAGS = -x -e
EXTRA_DIST = \
@ -0,0 +1,59 @@
-*- mode: org; coding: utf-8; -*-
#+TITLE: Tentative GNU Guix Road Map
Copyright © 2012 Ludovic Courtès <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
notice and this notice are preserved.
The goals of the GNU Guix project are two-fold:
- to build a purely functional package manager, based on Nix and
- to use it to build a practical 100% free software distribution of
GNU/Linux and possibly other GNU variants, with a focus on the
promotion and tight integration of GNU components.
This documents lists tentative milestones toward these goals.
* GNU Guix 0.1: Dec. 2012
** basic package management facilities
Including install, upgrade, remove, roll-back, and search.
** self-contained user-land distribution
- GNU/Linux-only, i686 and x86_64; optionally mipsel64
- ~100 non-X11 packages
** maybe integrated Nix code
* GNU Guix 0.2: Feb./Mar. 2013
** improved package management features
- user-environment hooks
- sophisticated handling of collisions when building a union (package
** auto-update facility available for GNU packages
** more packages
* GNU Guix 0.9: June 2013
** bootable GNU/Linux-Libre distro
** high-level OS configuration descriptive EDSL, à la NixOS
* GNU Guix 1.0: September 2013 (GNU anniversary release)
** bootable GNU/Linux-Libre distro with non-GUI installer
** usable for a range of hacker-style uses